Which picture draws more compassion from you?
![]() |
Dunno about you, but my heart definitely breaks more for the African children than the prim lady with the chihuahua.
But it draws a question from my mind: why?
Why do we forget about the rich? Jesus said it's more difficult for a rich man to place his faith in him then for a camel to go through the eye of the needle. Why are there virtually no ministries to draw those who are financially wealthy? There is nothing inherently wrong with having money, after all. It's the love of it that destroys us. The church probably sounds like a judgmental money-hating institution to people who own millions.
It's easy to feel compassion for starving or exploited children. It's not so easy to feel compassion for a snobby, spoiled kid. It's easier to love a homeless man than a family who has loads of money in an economic crisis. For me, anyway. I think sometimes we forget Jesus hung out with rich people too, e.g. tax collectors. He didn't exclude anyone who hungered for His love.
Hold on a minute, though! I'm not saying minister to the rich, and forget the poor! Jesus said religion that is pure and faultless is ministering to widows and orphans in their distress. Personally, I am passionate about helping the exploited citizens of North Korea, and I'm sure I'll write a blog post about it sometime. Let us never neglect the rampant poverty in this world. Rather, let's love the rich too, recognizing their spiritual condition may be even more dire than the cruelest clutches of the physical world. Easier said than done!
What's your opinion? Do you think Christians are doing well ministering to the financially well-off?


No comments:
Post a Comment