Friday, March 9, 2012

Never Enough

Never Enough
by Lindsey Snyder

"If only God would SPEAK
To me, to me, to me!"

Cries the fearful sheep

To a Lamb
To a Shepherd
And--
this paradox--
A King!

Like the calling of Moses or Samuel or David
Like the willingness to offer His scarred hands to Thomas
then I would know without deadening doubt 
then instead of scrambling inside, I'd push my way out

Instead I'm a wave tossed back and forth,
The shore is my friend, my foe is the coast.

I'm never sure if enough is enough
Or if I'm even alive in my shuffling scuff.

I cannot love well if I cannot love You;
Can I love One who is the only true Truth

When I feel a lie living dormant inside
And I feel my selfishness rank as a sewer
Tear at the pipes of my heart like a skewer?

I've fallen backwards,
I've left at the door
My passionate desire to love people more.

A hermitage wakes
Inside of my heart
And my interests of pursuit
Are all but forgot.

It's never enough!
Israel proved that today
When you led them with fire and cloud in the fray
And spoke to them clearly, they still fell to dismay--

And I am the same, Lord
Yes, I am the same.

Discussion Q's:

1. Why did the Israelites fail to trust God time and time again, when He constantly gave them evidence of His protection and providence?

2. We all fall in a cycle of sin. When it seems as if you are not progressing out of it, how do you find strength to persevere? 

3. How do you feel a sense of "enough" in your relationship with God?





2 comments:

  1. The "enough" is what Jesus did, not what I could ever begin to do...

    Karna

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is true! I think all too often I fall in the trap of wanting God to do even more for me than the ultimate sacrifice He has already given! Like the Israelites who kept complaining and wanting more despite God's provision. So in my relationship with God, I sometimes become bitter of God not doing "enough" when in fact He has done more than enough.

    Thanks for reading my post! :)

    ReplyDelete