Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Serving, Serving, Everybody, Everywhere!


Luke 17:7-10

New Century Version (NCV)

7 "Suppose one of you has a servant who has been plowing the ground or caring for the sheep. When the servant comes in from working in the field, would you say, 'Come in and sit down to eat'? 8 No, you would say to him, 'Prepare something for me to eat. Then get yourself ready and serve me. After I finish eating and drinking, you can eat.'9 The servant does not get any special thanks for doing what his master commanded. 10 It is the same with you. When you have done everything you are told to do, you should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done the work we should do.' "

Today I read in the quiet of my dorm room. Yes, even dorm rooms can be quiet at strategic times. My usual spot is on my bed, propped up against a variety of pillows, including a husband. I'm quite sure if you do not click the link, you will get completely the wrong impression. Believe it or not, those things really are called husband pillows.

It's funny, because I asked God to teach me something today that would change my life. I was going through the daily devotional book Jesus Calling (highly recommended,) and got to the part where it referred me to certain passages in Scripture. Guess what? I accidentally turned to the wrong one. It turns out my mistake may have been purposeful.

This passage in Luke causes me to upgrade my view of God. I would never verbalize that I am serving God or others for the sake of getting something in return. However, I still find myself desiring acknowledgment for the good that I do. However much I attempt to change my attitude, I still teeter over the chasm of selfishness.

I am not surprised by my selfishness, but I continue to tear myself apart in this war against myself.

Perspective.

I am unworthy to be a servant of the King of the universe.
Yet He calls me His child.
He calls me His friend.
I am His servant.
His sheep.
His body.
He gives me His Spirit.
He gives me His peace.
His life.
His love.

What have I truly given God? What have I truly given others? Service is not a white elephant gift exchange. Service does not expect a thank-you card. Loving servants of Christ do not receive special treatment--in fact, often it is just the opposite.

Service is doing what I'm supposed to be doing. 

Service is nothing to be applauded. Just like a little kid is expected to pick up his toys, I am expected to obey God! I need to stop taking such a high view of myself when I serve. Certainly, it is a good thing to do, obviously, but sometimes I forget how Jesus introduced the idea of service.

Service is a command, not a recommendation. We are expected to go to the deepest, nastiest parts and serve with a gentle spirit, without regard to self. Wow. I'm glad God's strength is made perfect in my weakness, because I struggle with that!

So I'd like to start a conversation! Please! :) I know I have some questions, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Answer some or all of these, or comment on something else.

Some honest questions:

(1) What helps you get into the right mindset when serving God and others? What has helped you to break the attitude of wanting something in return for serving?

(2) Are we rewarded in heaven for the service we do for God? If so, is it wrong to incorporate the rewards of heaven into the motivation for acts of service?

(3) What other concepts/actions does God expect of us that we may often forget about?

3 comments:

  1. I love your vulnerability Lindsey. I have enjoyed reading your blog. You make me think! I think we would all like to believe that we don't consider the rewards when we serve. But there are those "feel good" moments that come that make us crave the reward. I like to serve anonymously when I can so that it keeps the process "clean". Thanks for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have just articulated a common problem many people push out of their minds, substituting instead a feeling of righteousness. What an awesome topic to be delving deeper into, as VERY few people admit to believing praise is deserved after serving, when in fact any thanks we receive is totally extra. In regard to question 2, Matthew 6:20 does say to store up your treasures in heaven, and I think we will be rewarded for doing the work God has set up for us to do. I think seeking heavenly treasures is a legitimate reason for service - as long as it is done with humility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think serving anonymously is a wonderful safeguard to preventing selfish "service." I definitely need to practice that more. :)

    It seems like such a paradox to seek heavenly treasures (whatever that means) and yet be humble and not expect any earthly gain! I guess that is the major difference though -- looking at the heavenly reward instead of expecting immediate gratification.

    Do you all think it is possible for us on earth to serve with COMPLETE selflessness? It seems that way from stories I've heard and experiences I've seen, but then again, I can't see into people's hearts! Anything is possible with God, so I suppose God can strengthen selflessness within us, but it is so hard to imagine complete disregard of self.

    Thanks for your thoughts, whoever you are! haha. Loving the conversation. :D

    ReplyDelete