Turns out, I am the worst apologist in the world. Now, I already knew I'm not the best at verbal communication, but you see, I appealed to a Higher Power. I asked the Holy Spirit to speak through me and here I was expecting to be Moses leading this person out of slavery, or, put less dramatically, at least get him thinking in the right direction. I listened to his own journey and responded with a few points of what I believe. I realized afterwards that some things I said were not quite accurate or didn't come out the way I wanted. What happened to the Holy Spirit giving me the words to say?
As he talked, I felt my mind lingering on the objections to Christianity that he had and how in the world I would answer them. I had heard many of these objections before and at one point had known how to "give an answer to what I believe" but gosh darn it, I couldn't seem to think straight at all! Maybe it was the chorizo taco, but I felt myself frustrated by having nothing to say but, "Yeah, that makes sense" and "Thank you for sharing." Maybe it's a good start, I thought. I'll be able to come back to those questions he has later, and let him know my own opinion.
How incredibly hard for my prideful mind to be okay with saying "yeah, that makes sense" instead of "well, this is what I think" or "I'll get back to you on that" to statements Christians are uncomfortable with.
I learned today, however much I hate not being able to respond the way I thought I should, that Christians (and humans in general) have a little-appreciated asset to consider in interactions with others. I know that I need to practice it more often, though every fiber of me may object:
Humility--not the fake, sugar-coated kind, but the true submission of one's fundamental beliefs, rights, and desires and consideration of the beliefs, rights, and desires of another
No comments:
Post a Comment