Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A Talk with Time

Half-finished thoughts, partly-uttered prayers, ticking time tearing the universe into finite. I think I have spiritual ADD. As I read my Bible, the mere consideration of time leads me into thinking, there's not enough, there's never enough. What if I never learn to conquer my fears? What if I never attain, like Paul, the ability to be "content in all circumstances"? What if I miss out on something amazing? What if I'm a fraud, trying too hard to be humble, loving, and Christ-honoring and completely missing the point?

I am taking one class this J-term (Ceramics) and it has been wonderful, relaxing, and life-giving to spend time with people, read books I enjoy, play video games, and go on adventures. Yet, I see the oncoming squall of spring semester and stagger. I've had so much time to rest, yet I have never fully rested this J-term because I've been thinking of what little time I have. I need to prepare for my worship leader internship in Mexico this summer. I need to send support letters. I need to brush up on my Spanish. I need to write a script for my Narrative Filmmaking class in the spring. I need inspiration. I need creativity. I need to be closer to God. I need to spend time with people while I still have time. And then, if I don't do any of these things in a given day, I become even more anxious.

Time has consumed me. I have one more semester left at the University I have come to love. What can I possibly do to make next semester great? How can I avoid sinking into a pattern of stress and work?

So many questions. What about you, time? What do you think of my meaningless babble which undoubtedly you have heard trillions of times echoed from all corners of the world?

I, Time, have few words for you. Fewer than you would like. 
It takes time to fall in love. 
It takes time to tell a beautiful story. 
It takes the inevitable cessation of time to distinguish treasures on earth from treasures in heaven. 

Wisdom takes time. 

Everyone seems to think I, Time, take away from people's joy and comfort, but in fact, it is just the opposite. 

Everyone takes away from me

Don't pity me. I'm just your imagination talking, after all. 

Just think. Only one human in the history of time has mastered the art of taking from me perfectly, and He was and is also God. So don't beat yourself up about not using me well. 

Time is a gift you will not always have with you. I am here to reveal some crucial lessons, and then you will never need me again. I am the thrill of a high-stakes chase that began the day you were born. 

So just live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment