"If you love someone... you say it, right then, out loud. Otherwise... the moment just passes you by."
- from My Best Friend's Wedding
I say "I love you" a lot, especially to my friends (I need to say it to my family more often.) Some say the words "I love you" have become stale from overuse. Some think the phrase is said too flippantly. True, the words can be said mechanically, without any truth behind them. Someone can say "I love you" without feeling it in the moment. It is also true that the phrase can be used in a warped, perverted sense. However, there can also be a positive force propelling the words, even in repetition.
Couldn't the world do with a little more love, after all? Must we be so careful in saying these words, fearing our motives behind them? Love is not just a feeling! It is a choice: an everyday, every minute, every-time-my-heart-beats choice. And when I say "I love you" I am affirming that choice, whether or not I feel it.
My encouragement would be to treasure these words, however rare you hear them. Cherish these words, though you may hear them a hundred times a day. Give them freely. Let them rain on dry soil and bring healing to hungry hearts.
No comments:
Post a Comment